Massachusetts Artists of All Disciplines,
Makers, and Creative Entrepreneurs!
Artmorpheus and the Massachusetts Artists Leaders Coalition (MALC), have collaborated to create on-line tool, By Artists for Artists, to better determine how many artists of all disciplines, makers, and creative entrepreneurs* are living and working in Massachusetts and to better assess their needs.
Everyone’s help is needed in getting the word out across the Commonwealth. Unlike many studies, all of the aggregate data collected from this tool will be shared.
The survey is using a broad and inclusive definition of artists working in all disciplines. It encompasses: visual artists, musicians, composers, writers, poets, playwrights, new media artists, film makers, crafts people, actors, singers, performance artists, graphic designers, lighting designers, dancers, choreographers, and the like. The 2017 survey was also expanded to include makers and creative entrepreneurs.
The project builds on the 2009 “Stand Up and Be Counted” project, the first-ever Massachusetts statewide survey of working artists of all disciplines. The 3,500 working artists who participated in the 2009 survey helped to change policies to benefit the communities of the creative sector.
The project is funded in part by grants from the Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts Foundation, the Surdna Foundation and private donations. One must be a resident of Massachusetts to complete the survey. If you would like more information, please contact Kathleen Bitetti or Liora Beer at MassArtistsSurvey@gmail.com
For more in depth information, please see the press release
*Maker – an umbrella term for independent inventors, designers, and tinkerers. The maker movement is a convergence of traditional artisans and computer hackers. Makers tap into admiration for self-reliance and combine that with open-source learning, contemporary design, and personal technology such as 3D printers.
Creative Entrepreneur – set up as a for-profit or nonprofit business to produce a creative/artistic output, with the intent of building a financially profitable enterprise or sustainable organization.
Please help us spread the word about this on-line survey!!!!!!
How you can help:
- 1) Include a blurb & link to the survey on your Facebook page, in your newsletter and /or send an email out to your friends and colleagues urging them to take the survery and spread the word!
- 2) Share the Press Release with your press/blog contacts.
- 3) Print out the PDF flyer and distribute it.
- 5) Use these additional outreach tools to help get the word out: Full color jpeg evite/flier (also in a pdf format) and a facebook jpeg banner
- 4) Tweet about the survey: Name: MassArtistsSurvey Handle: @MAartistssurvey
- The 2009 Stand Up and Be Counted final report is available as a pdf download: